Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Identity

Confession: I think I'm struggling some with my identity (again).

I remember over the years encountering stay-at-home moms who were having similar feelings: not knowing who they were because society didn't put value on them without a paying job. Whenever people meet you or get to know you the first question is: "What do you do?" Admittedly, it's not always easy "I'm a stay-at-home dad."

Part of it is not knowing what's next. I've been in ministry, but we've bought a house so we're not likely to move anytime too soon--and mobility is often needed in finding a job in ministry. And I'm not sure what else to do. Part of me would like to write, but I know it's a long shot to make it as a writer.

No matter, the issue isn't so much about what I do--as long as I do what I'm doing to the best of my ability. The issue is about knowing who I am. And I know who I am (most of the time): a dad, a husband, a sinner & a saint, beloved by God and much more. Sometimes I just need those reminders. Sometimes I need to remember that my worth isn't in what I do but in who I am. Maybe we all need those reminders.

No comments:

Post a Comment