Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Work

I've been trying for literally months to get my substitute teaching license issued and get into some of the local schools to work. It's been quite the process. I've done subbing before in between other jobs I've had as needed. I've been in smaller school districts before where I call and let the school office know that I have my license and ask if I can get on their subbing list. Then they'll call me when needed.

Most of the schools don't work that way in the metropolitan area. Some of them actually use a temp agency. All of them have a big application process with background checks and other hoops to jump through. I totally get the need to be safe, but most of the checks are ones had to do to get my license.

Anyway, things have gotten processed and I'm getting some calls. Subbing is not the easiest job in the world. But it's what makes sense right now. I don't have to work on days when the boys don't have school. And most schools are done before the boys are out of school, so we don't have to worry about having additional child care.

Though my degree is in secondary education, I really prefer subbing for elementary grades. Even if its just subbing for a paraprofessional position that pays less, I enjoy it more. The students still love to learn and respect adults.

But after parenting, teaching is probably one of the hardest jobs out there. Make sure you encourage and thank your kids' teachers once they're off to school. And thank you for all the work you with your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment