Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cheesy Chili Lentils

So we're trying to eat healthfully while on a budget. It's not usually easy to make meals that fall in those categories while being something the boys will eat. I came up with this recipe on a whim the other day. It turned out pretty well. My wife wanted me to write it down because she liked it. It was simple, too. I did it in the slow cooker so it could finish while I did other things. Of course, I didn't measure things out, so I'm guessing on amounts here.

1 1/2 c. lentils
1 1/2 c. water (add more as needed--the usual ratio is 1 c lentils to 1 1/2 c water)
1 can diced tomatoes (I used a can of chili-ready tomatoes from Aldi)
1/2 c. diced onion (as desired)
seasonings--chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne powder, cumin, oregano (whatever you like in your chili)
Add any other chili items you might have on hand: peppers, black olives (my kids like them at least), corn, etc. I stayed away from beans and meat since I was trying to go cheap and the lentils had protein anyway.

Place everything in a slow cooker on low for a couple hours at least.
Serve topped with cheese (I used a shredded Mexican mixture from Aldi) and cornbread (I made the recipe on the corn meal container).


No comments:

Post a Comment