Friday, January 21, 2011

Hurray for the Library

I love the library. Even though I like to buy books, I like to go to the library. I like to explore new books, we "rent" all of our videos there and we love the fact that we can go to several museums and zoos for free.

My schedule for watching my niece and nephew changed a little, so now i have Fridays free, so the past two weeks I've taken Nils to the library for story time in the morning. Though Nils doesn't really talk while he's there and I have to move his arms for him to the actions of the songs (which is what he wants to happen), he enjoys going. Whenever I ask him if he wants to go to story time, it's an enthusiastic yes. We've attended story times at several libraries over the years. Each is different. Generally there are stories (surprise, surprise!), songs and finger rhymes. We've seen videos, colored pictures and made crafts.

We've only been in our neighborhood for just over half a year, but most of the librarians know me and Nils by now. It's nice to have a place where you're recognized. Even last summer, right after we moved in, there was a boy at the library who took to my boys and always wanted to hang out with them if they were there.

I also love that my kids are readers. The library fosters that. Nils loves that they have wooden "puzzles" and comic books. Anders loves the comic books and dinosaur books. They both love when there are fun videos checked in (we don't have cable, but they've gotten to know The Wonder Pets, Backyardigans and Batman: Brave and the Bold).

So invest in your local library if you haven't. Get to a story time if it works into your family's schedule (some libraries--like the one near us in British Columbia--even had pajama story time in the evening).

No comments:

Post a Comment