- Be 100% consistent in your behavior
- Always follow through on what you say you will do.
- Respond, don't react.
- Count to 10 and ask yourself, "What would my old self do in this situation? What should the new me do?"
- Never threaten your kids.
- Never get angry. (When you do get angry, apologize quickly.)
- Don't give any warnings. (If you warn your child, you're saying, "You're stupid. I have to tell you twice.")
- Ask yourself, "Whose problem is this?" (Don't own what isn't yours.)
- Don't think the misbehavior will go away.
- Keep a happy face on, even when you want to...do something else. (Taken from p. 289 of Have a New Kid by Friday)
Thursday, January 6, 2011
More from Kevin Leman
Here's Dr. Keven Leman's Top Ten Countdown to Having a New Kid by Friday:
Hopefully, some of those grabbed your attention to implement with your kids. I encourage you to pick up his book to find out more of what those mean and how to put them into practice.