Thursday, September 1, 2011

Back to School

Our 7-year old started school today. Our almost-5-year old has had orientation all week for his Montessori Children's House (he'll start full days on Tuesday). And so summer is at an end. We were getting summer weather again today, though, so we packed a picnic and headed down to Lake Harriet for swimming and a concert. I will miss summer. I know most parents are ready for it to be over. I'm not quite there yet. There was so much I had planned on doing (visiting more museums for one--but it's hard to be indoors in the summer). But I am excited about one thing that comes with going back to school: schedules. Well, not all of the schedule. I like some freedom and ability to be spontaneous, but I'm excited to have an earlier bedtime again for the boys. 1) They do better at sleeping. 2) I do better at sleeping. 3) My wife and I have a little more "alone" time before bed to either get some things done or to have some time together. The family next door to us has their little ones up well after I'm in bed. I don't know how (or why) they do it. I think it's a single mom (possibly two) whom I would think would enjoy any down time she could get. I also know the importance of a good night's sleep for my boys' development and well-doing at school. We're exploring a new family schedule as it is. My wife is starting grad school. I'm looking for some work. Both boys are in school. I don't think we're going to pack in too many outside activities until we see how things go. So for now, we're enjoying getting back into the swing of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment