Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Finding Myself At Home

It was about a year ago where a lot of changes in our family's life took place and I found myself staying at home to take care of our boys (who are now 2 & 4 1/2). My wife and I wrestled with the idea for a while. She was interested in having a shot at a career, but wasn't sure if it was best for us all if I was at home. At the same time, she was struggling with being home all the time and I was having a hard time finding work. So we finally decided to go for it.

I'm not a stay-at-home dad (as tends to be the more acceptable title among dads) because we can afford it. Doing this is a sacrifice for our boys. It doesn't make any sense for us to be living on one income right now. But it didn't make sense for us to use a second income to pay for day care bills. And it's been our priority to raise our kids--and not put that responsibility on someone else. (I know that not everyone feels this way or can make the sacrifices to do this--it was our personal decision).

So I find myself at home. In a small apartment. With no second vehicle. And two small, energetic boys. And I love it. Most days. And it is a sacrifice. But it's been worth it.

So, from here on out, I'm here to share my thoughts & reflections on being a stay-at-home dad. And hopefully offer some support and encouragement to other dads. And be a place where we can have some good discussions and sharing. Whatever you need. Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment