Monday, December 21, 2009

Faux Toffee Bars

A friend requested this recipe, so I thought I'd post it here. My boys enjoy helping with it. My youngest likes to line the crackers in the pan. My oldest helps put the butter and brown sugar in the sauce pan and stir. And, obviously, they like to eat the finished by-product. Here's what you need:

Graham crackers (approx. 12)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line graham crackers to fill a cookie sheet.
Melt butter & brown sugar in a saucepan on the stove. Stir until bubbly. Pour over graham crackers. Spread evenly over crackers.
Put cookie sheet in oven. Bake until sugar/butter bubbles (just a few minutes--don't let it go too long).
Remove from oven, sprinkle chocolate chips over the top (won't take the whole bag). Spread melted chips evenly over the graham crackers. Let cool & serve.

Notes: some recipes call for soda crackers instead of graham crackers. Either can be used. Some recipes also call for 3/4 cup of butter and brown sugar. I usually use the 1/2 cup since there's plenty of sugar as it is. They can also be topped with chopped walnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment