Monday, September 20, 2010

Toy Story 3

Yesterday the boys and I went to see Toy Story 3. I know it's been out for a while, but we were waiting for it to get to the cheap theaters (I'm not often compelled with the need to see something the first weekend it's open & financially, the cheap theater is what we can do). It was the first movie I had seen in a long time (my wife needed to study while we went), and it was really the first movie my almost-4-year old saw in the theater--at least that he was able to sit through.

There were a couple of intense scenes--but these got to my 6-year old more than my almost-4-year old. He's the sensitive one anyway. At the end of the movie when Andy and his mom are in Andy's empty bedroom, my son starts crying. Movies often touch him. I love that about him. He's also acutely aware that he's getting older. And that means changes. It means not being able to do the things he did when he was littler. It means that someday he won't have his toys to play with anymore.

I hope he never grows out of being sensitive. Sure, he needs to learn to be in control of his emotions and not let them control him so much. But I also don't want him to get to the point where he feels he needs to hide his emotions.

And I'm acutely aware that my kids are growing up, too. I'm not thrilled about it, but it is a bit unavoidable. And it's my job (not the school's or our church's or even the government's) to make sure he grows up well. That's our goal as parents: to raise children who can go out and live on their own when their old enough, being able to make the right decisions and having the resources to do so. We are not to hold them too tightly that we can't let them go (nor too loosely that they don't know real love from us). So, when the day comes and my son needs to box up his toys and get ready to leave for college, I'm sure I'll shed a tear, but I'll also know that he's ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment