Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dad's Group

My local stay-at-home dad's group meets today. I don't get there very often--mainly because we just have one car. My wife doesn't usually work until Wednesday afternoons, so Wednesday mornings are my main access to the car. That's when I can do errands, get groceries, take the kids to the doctor, etc. And some days Nils just wants to go to story time at the library.

During the winter the group meets at the local rec. center which puts toys and inflatable bouncers in a room. They open it three days a week for a couple hours for "Tot Time." It's an open group. There are plenty of moms with their kids there. But for once I'm not out of place as a dad. There are several others (depending on the week up to a dozen or so) with whom I can talk. It's a good deal for only $2. Some dads even show up without having kids to bring just for the fellowship.

If you've got a group that meets in your area, by all means, check it out. If not, consider getting something going. It's a great opportunity to get out of the house, let your kids meet some new friends, and have some adult conversation. Not to mention, developing friendships for yourself and having others who understand what you're going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment